Trayvon Martin was killed during half-time of the NBA All-Star Game in the nearby Orlando suburb of Sanford. In the tragedy of Martin’s death, there have been few reminders of the irony between the celebration inside the Orlando’s Amway arena and the more likely cold reality for too many African-American youth outside of it.
For the all-star game itself, the city of Orlando built a controversial 8-foot fence around the arena “to keep attendees safe”. It was not built high enough or long enough to protect Trayvon Martin from “neighborhood watchman” George Zimmerman. Hat tip to Black Youth Project for video by Jasiri X who captures the NBA All-Star dichotomy in his opening verse:
You Throw Like A Girl
- Jorge Rivas on Tim Hardaway on Jason Collins: “Everybody’s Got to Accept Him for Who He Is”
- MODI on Oscar Pistorius to be Indicted for Possible Murder, ESPN Not Interested
- Dirty Davey on Oscar Pistorius to be Indicted for Possible Murder, ESPN Not Interested
- Oscar Pistorius – Remember him? | theespnwatch on Oscar Pistorius to be Indicted for Possible Murder, ESPN Not Interested
- Stanley Cup Finals Racism Getting Little Attention | BlackAthlete on R*dskins Last Stand? Reflections on Racist Stereotypes in American Sport