Baltimore Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo was very vocal in support of the Maryland gay marriage measure and he he retweeted comments from one woman who said he changed her mind after the Maryland Marriage Equality ballot initiative passed. “I am so happy tonight I could cry. My kids will grow up in the age of equality for all”.
The impact of the outspokenness of Ayanbadejo and Vikings punter Chris Kluwe were felt in their home states after past Marriage Equality Initiatives went 0-32. While the concept of subjecting a persons equal rights to the whims of a popular vote needs to be seriously questioned, it is clear that key sports figures have helped turn a historic tide. Jim Buzinski from Outsports has more:
In Minnesota, the fight was to defeat Amendment 1, which would have changed the state’s constitution to ban same-sex marriage. The biggest public voice against Amendment 1 was the amazing Chris Kluwe, Minnesota Vikings punter, whose last tweet early this morning was succinct:
“There is no doubt that Kluwe made a difference,” Brad Michael of Minnesotans for Equality, wrote me. It was Michael who asked Kluwe to get involved in the campaign and it was a master stroke. Kluwe’s “lustful cockmonster” letter made a huge public splash and drew tons of media attention to the race. Interestingly, Michael said that an open letter from University of Minnesota basketball player Trevor Mbakwe was the most popular post on Minnesotans for Equality’s website.
For more, see Outsports.
HANDS UP, DON’T SHOOT!
Raiders' Maurice Jones Drew
She Throws Like A Girl
Mo'ne Davis Leads Taney into LL World Series w/ 3-hit Shutout
- Heidi on Mom and Daughter Beaten at Rams Game, Where’s the Outrage?
- Thony on New Joe Paterno Statue Planned while Sammy Sosa Must Beg Cubs To Get Respect of Ryan Dempster
- LeBron, etc. | theespnwatch on Silence, Innocence, and Whiteness: The Undemonization of Kevin Love
- Evangeline on Disrespected: The 10 Values of Robinson Cano
- Brendon on Donald Sterling Racist Recording Fallout: The Only Way to Catch a Billionaire